20 October 2009

Value in imagination

These were the words of couturier John Galliano in January this year, when asked "What do you think about the recession?" he replied, "There's a credit crunch, not a creative crunch. Of course, everyone is being more careful with their discretionary purchases. I am. But it's our job to make people dream, and to provide the value in quality, cut, and imagination". (Via www.style.com)

To provide the value in imagination. What, precisely, could this mean?

Is Galliano suggesting that the imagination should be valued more highly in light of the recession?
I don't think so. I would hope that the imagination is valued highly and continuously regardless of a small thing like the economy. I think what Galliano is hinting at is in fact the idea that the designer's role is to expand our imaginations (in the area of fashion) with their creations. They show us something new each season and its thrilling. Just as a designer gives attention to the quality of fabric, and the detail of the cut, they also push the boundaries of our expectations.

Whenever I have sketched a piece of wearable art, or a design, invariably my aim is to show something new, to improve on what I've done before. To see where my pencil will take me. This is where the thrill is for me. Not having the pressures of running a fashion house, I'm sure my aims are well met. I hope to include sketches here in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails